Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 August 2024

Birding in Hungary 2024 - Day 18

Birding in Hungary XVIII

Wednesday 24 July 2024

Kardoskuti Feher-to

Today my Grandpa drove me to Feher-to, about an hour's drive from their place. We stopped on the way in a small village where my second-cousins live. We stopped for a chat (which lasted about an hour) so I walked around the garden seen a Wasp spider and a flyover Yellow Wagtail. Once arrivied I noted a distant pair of Red-footed Flacon and a Kestrel. We stopped at the first lookout tower seeing nearly 20 White Storks flying right over us! We got back in the car and drove to the second lookout tower where we were told we could see the lake. While driving we saw 2 Stonechats and many Lesser Grey Shrikes flying out from the hedges along the side of the road. On the tower we didn't see much apart from a few Kestrels and more Lesser Grey Shirkes and Red-backed Shrikes. We were scanning the area for about 20 minuets until we decided to have our sandwiches and then go home. As I was sitting in the car boot I noticed to strange birds in the distance. Once they came closer, I identified the birds as my lifer Roller! I grabbed the camera from behind me and snapped about 20 pictures in 2 seconds (manually). Although the pictures weren't great I was still over the moon about my sighting since it was (along with Bee-eater) my most wanted species on the trip. By now we had to start heading home so we got in the car and drove towards the next town, to get back on the highway. On the way my Grandpa spotted a Hoopoe and a Red-backed Shrike and I saw the Rollers again in the distance. Near the village, we saw a flock of Helmeted Guineafowls (escapees) and another Lesser Grey Shrike

https://ebird.org/checklist/S188569349


A record shot of one of the Rollers



No comments:

Post a Comment